Tuesday, October 30, 2007

The Other Kind of Late Night

I wish that I could say I stay up until midnight Sunday through Thursday because I have some extravagant lifestyle filled with long nights out with friends having an amazing time, making bad decisions and thoroughly enjoying my last year in college. However, that is not exactly the case.

I spend every Sunday through Thursday night in Bishop Hall at the Student Media Center designing the Daily Mississippian.

It's not the most glamorous job. It doesn't involve any flashy bylines or even my own mugshot. But to me, design is all about subtlety--the subtle changes from day to day that no one recognizes when they are there, but everyone recognizes when something is a little off.

Each day brings new challenges to overcome and new ideas to develop. But, hey, I guess that's just journalism.

And hopefully the next time you pick up a paper before your 11 a.m. class after a long night out, you will appreciate a little more all the long hours, stressful deadlines and hardwork that went into getting it into your hands.

No comments: